Our Story

Founded in 1962 with 29 girls as its first students, St Agnes Catholic High School has catered for students in Year 7 to 10 in the Rooty Hill community for over 50 years.


Established by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, the school upholds the Franciscan spirit of simplicity and acceptance of all. In 1976 the school was handed over to the Sydney Diocese. As needs and wishes of the local people grew St Agnes High School become co-educational in the 1979 school year. From 1999 to 2004 it was incorporated into a multi-campus college, Christ Catholic College. In 2004 this was disbanded and St Agnes Catholic High School again operated independently, providing education for young people in the greater Mount Druitt area.

Students first attended lessons in the original buildings, then, with increases in the student population, new buildings were developed. The original homestead has been carefully preserved and extended. It now houses the administration offices and staff facilities of the school.

St Agnes Catholic High School, as it is now known, provides a quality education for students from Years 7 to 12 while maintaining the Franciscan spirit of simplicity, acceptance of all and a deep personal love of Jesus. Indeed, the handing on of the values has a very important part in the life of the students. The strength of the school lies in the students, in their openness, the joy they have of life, their friendliness and their optimism.

Our Story

1962 - 1965 Sister Marcionelle Burtille Hayes
1966 - 1969 Sister Stella Beatrice Sweeney
1970 - 1975 Sister Clare Audrey Graham
1976 - 1984 Mr Peter May
1985 - 1986 Mr Stan Hurley
1987 - 1993 Mrs Beverley Johnson
1994 - 1996 Mr Paul Menday
1997 - 1998 Mr Michael Krawec
1999 - 2004 Mr Geoff Hicks (College)
1999 - 2004 Mrs Marie Therese Hirschhorn (Campus)
2004 - 2007 Mrs Marie Therese Hirschhorn
2008 - 2017
Mr Peter Brogan
2016 - 2016 Mr Peter Regan (Terms 1-3)
Mr Peter Brogan (Term 4)
2018 - Current Mrs Lisa-Maree Browning
Our Patron Saint

St Agnes

The school’s patron saint is St Agnes who lived in Rome in the fourth century.

She was a twelve year old girl who endured pain, was tortured, and put to death because she would not deny her faith in Christ.

She is a saint to whom young people can pray for courage and strength in their efforts to live the Christian life.

Her emblem is the lamb.

The Franciscan Missionaries of Mary

St Agnes College (as it was originally called) was established in 1962 by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary. They were an institute that, in the spirit of Francis of Assisi, lived in simplicity according to the Gospel and found strength for mission in the contemplation of the Eucharist.

Blessed Helene de Chappotin

Foundress of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, Helene de Chappotin, was born in Nantes, Brittany, France, on 21st May 1839. She grew up happily in the old Chateau du Fort near Nantes with her own family and that of her ten cousins. The experience of the death of her cousin, followed by that of her two older sisters influenced her young life profoundly.

All the time God was preparing her with great love and gentleness. She had a great thirst for what she called the absolute. In 1856 she had a spiritual experience which coloured her whole life – God revealed to her his love and his beauty. She became convinced that her way was to be the religious life.

A period of research and waiting followed, marked by the sudden death of her mother who could not resign herself to her daughter’s vocation. This was a very painful time for Helene and her plans were put on hold. In 1860 she entered the Poor Clares in Nantes. Just a year later ill health forced her to leave. Four years later she entered the Sisters of Marie Reparatrice in Paris. Here she received the name of Mary of the Passion and was sent on mission to India. She remained in India for eleven years – the final stage of the long preparation which led her to found a Missionary Institute.

In 1876, a series of painful and contradictory circumstances led her to leave the Congregation of Marie Reparatrice with some twenty other sisters. On her return to Rome on January 6, 1877, Pope Pius IX authorised the foundation of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary.

Mary of the Passion died peacefully in San Remo, Italy on 15th November, 1904. Blessed Helene de Chappotin was beatified in 2002.


Click here to hear our song

To truth through love we go
With faith we travel the road
With Jesus by our side
St Agnes will be our guide

Pre-chorus
We are called and chosen
To prepare a way for the Lord

Chorus
We are St Agnes, Firm in the faith
Lighting the world everyday
We are united together as one
We are God’s children, to truth through love
To truth through love (to truth through love)

Verse 2
Through generosity we give to those in need
In trust and loyalty we overcome adversity
We are called and chosen
To prepare a way for the Lord

Bridge
Lord, giver of life
We come to you
Let the world see your face
In everything we do

December 2011
Prepared by Ms Laura Keenan and students